It is your responsibility to help prepare your home for a termite fumigation. Taking the following steps prior to fumigation helps ensure its success, resulting in the elimination of drywood termites from your home.
Your assigned fumigator may supply additional home preparation instructions and documents for your signature.
Click on the prep sheet you need to view/download a printable form.
Occupant’s Fumigation Notice | Spanish Version
Whole Structure Fumigation: What Every Home Owner Should Know | Spanish Version
Preparatio For Termite Fumigation | Spanish Version
Know What Needs To Be Bagged | Spanish Version
Fumigating Structures Containing Fish Aquariums | Spanish Version
The Day Before Fumigation
- Water the soil up to 18 inches from the outer walls of your home to protect outdoor plants and shrubs.
- Cut back foliage, shrubbery, and landscaping at least 18 inches from the structure to allow room for the tarps.
- Remember to make arrangements for overnight accommodations for you and your pets, as the whole fumigation process usually takes three days and two nights.
- Please keep in mind that drywood termite fumigation cannot be performed in strong winds and/or rain and will be rescheduled if there is inclement weather.
- Prior to the fumigation it is the owner or agent’s responsibility to contact SDG&E to restore service for as early as noon (Monday through Saturday) after the fumigation process has been completed. The gas line must remain disconnected (locked) until the structure has been certified as safe to re-enter. If you have any questions about the time that your property will be cleared at the end of the fumigation process, please do not hesitate to contact our office (619-472-6666).
The Day of Fumigation
- We need your keys! Contact us to arrange for your keys. If security during the fumigation is a concern, contact our office for more information.
- Remove all plants from your home, including those on outdoor patios.
- Evacuate all people and pets from the structure.
- Remove mattresses completely enveloped in plastic, such as baby mattresses with waterproof covers, or remove or open the covers.
- Remove or double-bag anything that will be ingested: food, drugs (including tobacco products), medicinals, spices, etc. in the special Nylofume bags provided. You do not need to bag or remove items in plastic, glass, or metal bottles, cans or jars with the original manufacturer’s seal intact (refer to the flyer, What Needs to be Bagged).
- Seal the Nylofume bags by following the special instructions provided with the bags.
- Double-bag (in Nylofume) cold and frozen foods and leave them in the refrigerator and freezer. Remove shelves from the refrigerator and freezer to make it easier to stack the bags inside.
After the Fumigation
- It is unnecessary to wash dishes, linens, clothing, etc., as Vikane is a gas and will dissipate from the structure.
- Retain the “Clear to Enter” notice that was posted on your house. The utility company representative will request to see it.
- Call the utility company to schedule a “fumigation unlock” gas turn on visit (SDGE 1-800-411-7343).