If you have ever suffered through a rodent infestation or want to make sure you never have to, preventing rodents like rats and mice from coming into your home in the first place is key. There are ways to make your house less appealing to rodents as well as make it harder for them to get inside your Chula Vista home. Do not give a rodent a chance to make your home their next home by following these rodent prevention tips.
Food and garbage
Rodents not only want a warm, dry place to live, they want easy access to food. A few tips that will prevent rodents from wanting to come to your house to dine are:
- Sweep after each meal
- Wipe down all kitchen surfaces with a multipurpose cleaner
- Put all food packaging in to the trash after use
- Promptly take the trash when full out to an outside garbage bin that has a lid
- Keep all pantry items in airtight container
Block entry points
Rodents have to have a way to enter your home in the first place if they are going to set up shop. Stopping them from coming in may include doing repairs to the exterior of your home like:
- Inspecting the roof, facia, and soffit for any holes or damage
- Replace any damaged weather stripping for door bottoms on exterior doors
- Repair any broken windows or windows that are stuck slightly open
- Seal holes and cracks on the outside of the house, take special note around utility and pipe entries into the home
- Put screens on outdoor vents or even on the chimney
If rodents are allowed into the home, not only are they good at hiding in hard to reach places, but they can also multiply quickly. Most mice have between six and eight babies in a single litter and they have several litters in a year. You could go from 2 mice to 62 mice in only one year and that does not count the number of baby mice who grow up and start reproducing within that same year. You can quickly have an extensive rodent infestation in a very short period of time if the problem is not addressed immediately.
While many people are comfortable putting out a few traps in areas that they see the most rodent activity, if the problem gets beyond a few well placed traps, you will want to give the best pest pro in Chula Vista a call. Pest control pros like Nixtermite will have your rodent problem a thing of the past before you know it so you can get back to life as normal. Once your home is mouse or rat free, continuing to practice good prevention habits will help ensure that the rodents never make their way back into your home.
For Chula Vista homeowners needing help with a rodent infestation or simply want to make sure one never starts, give Nixtermite a call today.